Monday, January 30, 2012

No Excuses!

If you've watched The Biggest Loser this season, you've probably heard the phrase "No Excuses" just a few times :) 

If you want to lose weight, or maybe just get in better shape, you can probably sit down and make a list of "excuses" why its not possible or would be too hard for you to do so

-I just have to far to go/too much to lose and I don't even know where to start
-I can never stick to eating healthy
-Eating healthy is too expensive or doesn't taste good
-I don't have to time to exercise
-I don't like to sweat
-I work all day and don't have time to exercise
-I'm tired
-I don't have the money for a gym membership or fancy at-home equipment
-I'm too old, I can't start working out now
-I'm too busy to pack my lunch/dinner, fast food and eating out is just easier
-I don't feel good
-Its too cold/too hot
-I'm going to start on Monday

Do any of these sound familiar? 

If so, listen to this story. You're excuses won't hold much weight after this.

Every morning when I run, I pass an older couple (in their 60's) jogging together, holding hands. I've always thought it was sweet and the wife and I smile as we pass each other quite often. The husband usually has a more stern, concentrated look on his face. Today I happened to be running in the same direction as them, instead of running opposite and passing. The wife said hello and we ran together and chatted for awhile. 

To my amazement- I learned that the husband is blind. BLIND. 100% of his sight is GONE. He was recently diagnosed with diabetes and high cholesterol and his doctor told him that he needed to get healthy and lose weight as soon as possible. He is not a small man, and I think I already mentioned he's in his 60's. He and his wife are both retired and decided to start running together to get healthy. Running! I don't know about you...but it takes all my concentration when I'm running to watch where I'm going just so I don't trip and fall. Not to mention half of the enjoyment I get from running is looking around seeing things around me. This man is blind and he's a runner. He can't see where he's going, is overweight, deals with complications from both his diabetes and cholesterol- yet is he out there on the trail, day after day...running! His sweet wife runs by his side, holding his hand telling him when to stop or move to the left or right. They both said they were strongly considering running some local races this year. My jaw was probably on the ground as we ran together and they were telling me their story. 

How often to I try and tell myself its too cold to run, or that I'm too tired and have a million other things I could be doing, or that skipping just ONE run really won't make a difference. Oh boy...those excuses seem totally lame at this point. Knowing that a fellow runner is out there running with no sight and multiple other health issues...yet he is out there day after day, no excuses

I told him how much I admired him and what an inspiration he was. I've been thinking about them all day and really hope I get the chance to run with them again. What an awesome example of someone taking charge of their health, despite all of the circumstances that are working against them.

-You don't NEED a gym membership to workout- get out there and run the streets of your neighborhood or local park. Pop a fitness DVD into your DVD player
-Its called a workout because you have to WORK, its okay to sweat
-No matter how much weight you have to lose, you'll never lose a thing if you don't start somewhere. 
-Eventually those 1 lb losses will add up to a much bigger number
-Plan ahead! Pack your lunch so you don't get stuck in the drive thru making a last minute decision, out of hunger
-I guarantee there are people out there fatter than you and older than you who workout everyday...age and size is NOT an excuse
-Make exercise a priority. Schedule it into your daily routine, just like you would a meal or an appointment. Whether it means you get up an hour earlier or workout right before bed...make time!
-Exercise and eating healthy is a lifestyle. Don't make unreasonable restrictions because its highly unlikely you won't stick to it and then your whole healthy lifestyle will unravel. Instead of saying I'm never going to eat pizza again. Limit yourself to pizza once a week, and only 1-2 slices. Pack on the veggies and skip the sausage and pepperoni
-Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring. Get creative! Search online (pinterest!) for healthy recipes and you will discover a whole new culinary world! 
-Don't be afraid of fruits and vegetables! Load up your fridge and produce basket with a variety of produce and make it your go-to snack
-The endorphins you get after working out will make you feel better and less tired, I promise you
-What kind of example are you setting for your children? Are you showing them that being active and eating healthy will make their bodies healthy and feel good? Or do they see you sitting on the couch with the remote and bowl of ice cream night after night? They learn by example! 
-Eating healthy is no more expensive than buying fast food, eating at restaurants, buying cookies, chips & ice cream. Buy in season produce and check ads for sales on meats and dairy products. Buying an apple or orange is a lot cheaper than buying a pack of cookies. 
-Why wait until Monday? Start NOW!

NO EXCUSES!

No comments:

Post a Comment