Tuesday, February 21, 2012

20/20/20

Half marathon training has officially begun! 

I'm using Hal Higdon's program (again) because I liked it so much last time. I made a few changes (added a few weeks & upped my mileage from 10 miles to 12 miles for the long runs towards the end)

My running days are Monday, Wednesday & Friday, and then long runs on Sunday. The kids are both in school on Mon, Wed, Fri so it just makes the most sense to get my runs done while I'm flyin solo. 

That leaves Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday as cross training, strength & the so-not-my-favorite...rest day. I'll be totally honest, I almost never take a rest day. I'm not just training for the half, I'm also training and working to lose weight. I feel like getting my 60 minutes of daily exercise is crucial and I get so cranky when I don't workout. Now before you tell me my body needs a day to rest, relax :) I DO take it easier than normal at least one day a week. Meaning instead of running 3 miles, I might walk a couple miles and then do the elliptical for a little while. On an effort scale of 1-10, I probably give it about a 4 or 5 on my "rest day". 

I wanted to come up with a way to challenge my body because I'm currently at a standstill when it comes to weight loss (remember my goal to lose 9 pounds in February? Yeah....I weigh the same today as I did on February 1). My body is used to running, so it takes either a) moving a lot faster or b) moving a lot longer to make any sort of difference with the scale. In order to shock my metabolism a little, I've created (my own) workout plan for my non-running days during the week. 

For lack of a better name- I'm just going to call it the 20/20/20

I am going to bike for 20 minutes, run for 20 minutes & do the elliptical for 20 minutes- all in a circuit, one right after the other. Also important to mention, is that I will almost always have Carson with me on these days. So that means for the 20 min bike ride- I'll be pulling him in the bike trailer. For the 20 minute run, I'll be pushing him in the jogging stroller. The added resistance makes a big difference when you aren't used to doing it everyday. 

I am working on getting a navigation bar at the top of my page (complete with a total makeover for the blog- can't wait) and I will have a link to my Workout Page. I am going to update it daily to keep track of my workouts. For now, I'm still tracking it, but I will just post my Workout Log in the form of a post at the end of the week (like I did last week). So basically- when you see 20/20/20...you'll know what I'm talking about.

I think its also important to note that I'm not JUST focusing on cardio. While cardio is DEFINITELY my favorite, I do understand that strength training and stretching is just as important. I found a set of daily strength workouts on Pinterest that I've been doing for about 2 weeks. It takes about 10-15 minutes and then I add a few extra minutes of abs each night also. Basically- each day of the week there is a different set of exercises to work a different muscle group. For instance, Mondays are butt, thighs & quads. Tuesdays are upper back, shoulders & arms. Wednesdays are lower back & abs. You get the point :) So I will continue to incorporate those into my daily workout also. I have a Yoga DVD that I've used once and I'd love to start doing that more often as well. 

All broken down, I usually work out an hour each day. 45 min of cardio and then 10-15 min strength. Sometimes I do longer cardio (even if its just walking back and forth to pick my son up from school).

I am hoping that with a new attitude towards cleaning up my eating even more and the extra exercise, my body will decide to let go of these last 35-40 pounds. The first 70 came off fairly easy (don't get me wrong, I worked HARD) but I never had a 6 month long plateau like I'm currently experiencing. So- hopefully this will work. If not- at least I know I'm doing all I can to live healthy!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck getting that scale moving!! I've been trying to get more strength training into my routine, I'd really rather run every day, but I know building more lean muscle is necessary.

    ReplyDelete