Saturday, February 4, 2012

What's for Dinner?

I'm gonna change my "Menu Monday" to "What's for Dinner?" and start posting it over the weekend instead. That way I have time (or whoever else is making what I am) to grocery shop over the weekend. Thanks for idea Rebecca :)

I only have to cook 3 nights this week so it was a pretty easy menu to make! I don't even think I need anything from the store. I'm trying to clean out our freezer in the garage because it needs to be de-frosted really bad. That means we'll probably be eating a few freezer meals each week for awhile!

Monday- Broccoli Cheese soup & grilled cheese*
Tuesday- Salsa chicken in the crockpot
Wednesday- not cooking! Church night :) Salads or sandwiches on-the-go
Thursday- Italian sausage & peppers over whole wheat noodles OR baked fish sticks & tater tots (boys have been asking for this for awhile)
Friday- Going out for dinner for Wayman's dads birthday
Saturday- Eating at Mom & Dad's
Sunday- Going to my grandmas for dinner

*I use I Can't Believe its Not Butter! spray for my grilled cheese. Browns up perfectly and saves about 150 calories! Doesn't have the same buttery, greasy texture but its still very good :)

Re-cap of last weeks menu:
-Avacado Chicken Parmesan wasn't my favorite. Maybe I just don't like warm avacado? I don't know...and I cooked it according to the recipe and it seemed way undercooked, so I cooked it a little longer. Just wasn't a huge fan (Wayman liked it).
-Vegetarian Quinoa Chili was amazing! We definitely aren't vegetarians and aren't trying to be...but this was very hearty and delicious. With that being said- we decided that next time I make it, it needs to have some ground turkey added :) I added a few more veggies than the recipe called for and it made enough for 2 full meals (plus Wayman took leftovers for him a friend the next day). I froze the extra portion to have for a quick dinner when needed.
-The roasted pork loin was also very good, but needs a few changes to the recipe. I used a 2.5 lb pork loin (recipe called for 2-3 lb) and it said to cook on low (in crockpot) for 6-8 hours. I cooked it exactly 6 hours and it was over-cooked. Not horribly, but enough to make it kinda dry and need extra sauce. I'm gonna try 4.5/5 hours next time. The boys really loved this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment