Thursday, February 16, 2012

Winner Winner Quinoa Dinner

So I posted on Valentines Day that I was going to whip up a scrumptious dinner for my love. 

Not to toot my own horn- but I definitely did not disappoint! And like I always say, I can't take all the credit...unless pinning a delicious recipe on Pinterest counts ;)

On the menu was:
-Asparagus & Cheddar stuffed chicken breasts with red pepper flakes (pre-made...can't take credit for those)
-Garlic green beans with bacon crumbles
...and the scene stealer:
-Quinoa burgers (or patties or cakes or whatever clever name you can come up with)


(and P.S. I am NOT a food photographer in the least bit. I'll keep my day job)
They were amazing, and even better the next day! 
I changed the recipe up a bit so I'll just include the recipe here

What you need:
1 cup dry quinoa, it will make 2 cups prepared. Prepare according to package (or google it!)
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup grated or finely chopped carrot
1/2 cup grated or finely chopped zucchini
3 eggs
2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
2 green onions, chopped finely (I think red onions would be good too)
1/2 tsp of splenda or sugar (I used 3 packets of splenda)
Salt & Pepper (a few shakes)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp garlic powder
EVOO for pan frying

Combine the cooked quinoa, cheeses, carrots, zucchini, eggs, flour, onions, splenda/sugar, salt & pepper cumin & garlic powder. Mix well (it will be a sticky mess)

Heat a non-stick skillet and a couple of teaspoons of EVOO over medium low. Using 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop mixture into pan and lightly flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Fry until golden brown (approx 5 min each side). Makes 9 burgers

Per Burger:
132 calories
Protein: 8g
Fat: 5g
Fiber: 2g
Net Carbs: 12g
Sodium: 200mg

The recipe I found on pinterest suggested topping them with Tzatziki. While that probably would be delicious, we topped ours with 1/2 Tbsp of Litehouse Jalapeno Ranch. Umm...heaven on a plate. Seriously. Wayman & I fought over the leftovers the next day. 

I will definitely be making these again soon! They could be a meal in themselves. And they are very similar to crab cakes, so I'm thinking of adding a little chopped up crab next time. 

Go try it! And let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment