Monday, March 19, 2012

A Bad Decision & A Big Decision


First let me start off with the Bad Decision:

Last night I made breakfast burritos for dinner (chorizo, eggs, potatoes, onions & homemade beans). I made to sure to make plenty of extra so that we could all eat the leftovers for breakfast this morning. Got up, got my running clothes on, got the kids dressed and ready for school and we all sat down to eat. After I ate what looked like a big pile of dogfood, but really tasted like heaven...I realized...oh CRAP...Im running 5 miles in about 20 minutes. I'm not exactly sure why that thought didn't cross my mind before I ate such a big, heavy breakfast. I'm usually an oatmeal or eggs & toast kinda girl. Lets just say it was a long 5.5 miles and my stomach was in knots the entire time. Lesson learned!

And now for the Big, more exciting decision:

I've decided to run a full marathon next year. I have never really felt the urge to run 26.2 miles until this weekend. I've always been satisfied with challenging myself by running half marathons. I decided that I wanted to do it at least once in my lifetime, just to say that I DID IT. I scoured the internet for marathons around California. I really wanted to do one of the Rock N Roll series but they don't have next years schedule up yet and I kind of wanted to commit to one sooner than later. So, after much searching- I've decided to run the San Luis Obispo (SLO) marathon next April. Its about two and half hours from where we live and we are very familiar with the area. I've gone on family vacations to that area almost every year since I was little and so it will be a nice little getaway. I am beyond excited (although completely overwhelmed and intimidated by the idea) but I know this is something that I want to accomplish and I feel like I will be more than ready by next April. 
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
This morning I did my long run for the week. I accidentally looked at that wrong week on my calendar last week and thought my long run was supposed to be 7 miles, when really it was supposed to be 4. I ended up doing 7.60 and realized that night I had screwed up. Not a huge deal, better to run more than less I guess. I went back to my original training plan today and did my scheduled 5 mile run. The rest of my runs this week are 3.5 miles and 2 miles so it will be an easy week. As the weeks go by, my mileage will really start picking up so I'm enjoying these smaller weeks! As soon as I walked in the door from running (total 5.40 miles) my neighbor Ashley texted me and asked me if I wanted to run tonight. I told her I had just ran but I was definitely up for a couple more miles! So- tonight after dinner I'll be logging a few more :) Can't hurt my mileage goal for March (90 miles)...I'm up to 58 as of today. 

Have a nice Monday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to run the SLO half this April but couldn't work it logistically! You will do gerat! You have lots of time to prepare. I hate running on a full tummy, especially from heavy food, but you made it through!

    ReplyDelete