Monday, March 5, 2012

Blossom Trail 10k

Ok I'm back and ready to re-cap the race from this weekend :)
I'm not sure if being outside amongst all the blossoms is whats causing it, but I am suffering from one of my worst allergy attacks ever. My throat, ears, eyes & head all feel miserable. Allergy meds make me tired, but if I don't take them I literally can't function cause I just sneeze all day. Its a lose lose situation so I'm trying to make the best of it ;) Ok, on to the race :)
_____________________________
Saturday morning, my whole family ran in the Blossom Trail 10k race in Sanger, California. Its about 45 minutes from our house and its a small town out in the country. Wayman and I did the 10k (6.21 miles) and the boys did the race for kids 5 and under, which was 1/8th mile. 
 Getting their bibs on!
 Showing off their muscles, ready to run!


We couldn't have asked for more perfect weather. It was already in the high 50's, low 60's at 7:00am and it got a few degrees warmer by the end of the race. The sky was clear and blue, the sun was out, but there was still a cool breeze in the air. I will miss racing in this kind of weather as summer gets closer. HOT HOT HOT. 

There were about 100 kids in the age bracket/race that the boys did. They all looked so cute running and giving it everything they had!
It was hard to get good pictures cause there were so many people, but heres one of Austin coming in towards the finish line

 Swing those arms!
 And Wayman ran with Carson...just cause there were so many kids and we were afraid he'd get distracted and not make it to the finish line ;) Hard to tell in the picture, but he has a huge smile on his face
 Almost there!
 Papa congratulating him on a job well done :)
 My little runners! They did so good! Ran the entire way and had a blast! Unfortunately it set their coughs off pretty bad afterwards :/
 Getting ready to head towards the start line for our own race
 We were led by police on motorcycles down the streets of downtown Sanger
 About 1/4 mile in (in the middle, all black)
 Wayman coming in towards the finish line
 Me coming in to finish
 allllllllmost there!
 And we made it!!!!
 (cute pictures beside the darn sun runing it!)


My official time is 1:09 (according to my Nike+ I finished in 1:07 and actually ran 6.31 miles instead of 6.21. I know its calibrated correctly so I'm not sure why there was such a big discrepancy. Kind of annoying) Wayman isn't showing up on the finishers list on their website for some reason, but according to his Nike+ he finished in about 54:00. 

My first mile was 9:40, which is my fastest mile yet. I run comfortably at a 12:00 pace, and when I'm giving it everything I have, I usually end up with about 10:30 miles. I have no idea how I maintained under an 11:00 pace for all 6 miles, it seems crazy to me! It definitely was hard and I could tell I was pushing myself, but at the same time it was a very enjoyable and relaxing run too. Maybe it was the course (through downtown and then out into the country amongst all the blossom trees) or maybe I just wasn't thinking about the effort I was exerting. Either way, I never stopped walking for a single step and maintained a pretty good pace (for me) the entire time. I felt really good the first 4 miles, I wasn't out of breath and my legs were feeling warmed up and good. Mile 5 was a little harder because I noticed a blister on the arch of my foot and it was all I could think about! By mile 6, I was getting pretty tired. My blister was killing me, I had sweat running in my eyes and they were burning (note to self: always wear a viser or hat to races!) and I was having trouble controlling my breathing. My legs still felt perfect fine, luckily. I'm not familiar with the streets of Sanger or this race course so I felt like the last half mile went by really really slow. I didn't think I'd ever see the finish line. When I finally rounded the corner and saw it, I kicked it into high gear and ran the last .25 mile at a 9:00 pace. I was so excited to beat my goal time (of 1:15). I not only beat it, but I blew it out of the water! My previous 10k time (back in June) was 1:17, so I cut nearly 10 minutes total off. Thats more than a minute off each mile.

Once I stopped running, my blister started to feel worse and I could not WAIT to get to the car and get my shoe off. My legs also tightened up afterwards because I didn't think to stretch. I realllly need to get better about stretching after I run. It took me about 30 seconds to catch my breath and get my heart rate back down- I love the quicker recovery time. I used to be out of breath and my heart would race for like 20 minutes after I worked out, now- its seriously less than a minute. Thats one way I can tell I'm in much better shape than a year ago. 

Overall- I had a really, really good run & I'm still pretty stoked about my PR! I woke up sore the next day, but only after just getting up from sitting/laying. Walking around I felt just fine. My blister is better and my legs are back to normal today. I was really bummed that Rebecca, my running buddy, wasn't able to do the race with me, but she's got a medical issue going on and hopefully she gets cleared to this week to start running again! It wasn't the same without her :)

Next race: Brian Sturgeon St. Patricks Day 4 miler (March 17, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment