Thursday, March 1, 2012

Night Run

I've come to love running in the mornings for a few different reasons. The biggest reason is that I like starting out my day with a good workout. It sets the tone for the rest of my day, improves my mood and helps me clear my mind and make better food choices for the rest of the day. Another reason I like running in the morning is because during the week, its really my only chance on most days. I try and get my workouts done when my kids are either asleep (early morning) or at school so that when they are home, I can be 100% present with them. Of course it doesn't always happen like that, I do have to run while they stay home with daddy once in awhile. Not a huge deal. 

Today I subbed in Austin's class (tomorrow too) and so I wasn't able to run this morning. I could have gotten up at 5:00 and ran but it was raining and I'll be totally honest- I had already done my hair the night before and didn't want to spend the extra 1 hour this morning re-doing it. (I'm using the term "done" very loosely- I had washed it and let it dry wavy instead of straightening it, and then french braided it. Wake up, unbraid and I've got clean, natural waves. Love it!)  Anyway, I digress. What's new?

While I was out at recess with the kids today, I looked up at the sky and saw this
That bright beautiful sky, cool breeze, the blossoms on the trees, the sun shining...PERFECT running conditions. I was so bummed that I was stuck at school for another 2 hours and by the time I got home, I wouldn't be able to run (kids home, homework, etc). 

I had a 3 mile run on the schedule today and was getting really sad that I might have to skip it. I talked myself into running as soon as Wayman got home from work  (6:30) even though it was wet and already pitch black outside. I do NOT like running in the dark.
a) I'm afraid of tripping on uneven pavement 
b) I'm afraid of being hit by a car
c) I'm afraid of the "unthinkable" happening

I know, I worry too much.

I sucked it up, stayed on main streets and hit the ground running (quite literally). I did a little bit under 3 miles at 11:20 pace. My average is over a minute faster than it was just a few months ago. I can't keep that pace for longer than 3 or 4 miles yet though, I'm building up to that. 

Theres something really calming about running at night. You don't have to worry about lathering up with SPF, you don't have to wear sunglasses or a hat & I don't feel like people notice me so I'm more comfortable just doing my thing!

Even though it was cold and rainy, I still worked up a goooood sweat

(so i looked at this picture and realized my pictures on the wall are crooked. Went to go fix it...totally straight! optical illusion in the picture I guess!)

After I finished my run I hopped on the elliptical for 20 minutes (6 resistance, 20 incline, 2500 strides) and called it a day. 

I'll have to admit- ending my day with a workout is almost as good as starting my day with one. I enjoy the endorphins all day, but I'm also really enjoying the relaxation afterwards. 

1 comment:

  1. I have been too lazy to wake up to exercise most mornings so I've been fitting it in when I can. I jumped on the treadmill last night for a good quick sweat since I hadn't gotten in a workout, it was a good feeling to get my sweat on.

    ReplyDelete