Wednesday, April 18, 2012

9 miles

This morning was my long run of the week- 9 miles. 

I headed out around 8:15 as soon as the kids were at school. The temperature was about 65 and it was sunny and breezy. It was fairly uneventful and not as "perfect" as my long run from last week. It was still a good run and I didn't have to stop and take any walk breaks the entire time. I finished in 1:48 which is 12:00 miles. I haven't calibrated my Nike+ sport band yet, and I have my routes memorized. According to my watch I did 9.0 but according to my memory I actually did about 9.25. I'm going to map it out and see exactly how far so I can adjust my pace in Daily Mile. I'm aiming to run 12:00 minute miles or less for the half, finishing in about 2:35 (thats my goal anyway).

I took my GU at mile 5.5 and ate it while running. My toe thats been bothering me didn't start hurting until about 7.5 miles and since I knew I only had a mile and a half left, I just sucked it up and tried to forget about it. By the time I finished, I was HOT! I wasn't the slightest bit winded when I stopped running but my legs were definitely feeling like bricks. This was taken right as I walked inside before I took a shower
I've decided that this is my "race day" outfit for the half next month. Its comfortable and cool and it stays put (no riding up, chafing, shirt sliding around, etc) The only issue is that I'm SUPER self conscious about my legs. I've always, always had big legs and even after almost 80 pounds lost, my legs are still bigger than "normal" They are 90% muscle but still. My legs used to rub together when I walked to I never, ever wore anything besides capris and pants. Now they don't even touch when I walk or run and don't have to deal with chafing either. I'm trying to get over it and remind myself that m y legs are strong and healthy, not fat. Sure they have a little cellulite in a few places but I've seen girls who are 120 pounds with cellulite. Now my thighs...thats another story. Still working on those :) Anyway- in an effort to gain a little more confidence, I bought all shorts and or skirts for the spring/summer this year. I have one pair of capris also but don't plan on wearing them often. I want to enjoy summer and not sweat to death because of insecurities. This was taken after I took a shower and got ready this morning:

I still feel self conscious about wearing shorts/skirts in public but I am determined to get over it :)

Alright- well I'm off for a full afternoon and evening- lots of errands and church activities. I'll be back tomorrow with an interesting post about an upcoming race. Lets just say it has to do with a "Clydesdale" category...more tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. I think your legs look awesome. Very muscular. Where'd you get your tshirt? I love the design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from Old Navy a few weeks ago- thanks!

      Delete
  2. Love your race outfit!!! And you have amazing legs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. reading your blog tonight was like reading my own thoughts - my legs are my worst enemy. My goal with my weight loss is to wear shorts. I live in capri's and pants when I workout as well. I love, love, love your running outfit. What brand is the skirt??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you can relate (but sorry you have to deal with the same insecurities!) I got my running outfit from JC Penney (skirt last year, shirt this year) Its just their store brand, whatever it is. Its in the washer otherwise I'd check ;)

      Delete
  4. I looooove the running skirt, where did you get it? I too have big thighs and just recently decided to get over it and wear some dang shorts out in public, so good for you girl!! Oh and a little self tanner never hurt :)

    ReplyDelete