Thursday, April 19, 2012

Measurements

I use a few different apps on my phone to track my weight loss- besides My Fitness Pal I also use JAWT (Just a Weight Tracker) and TargetWeight. They are essentially the same thing, but each one has individual features that the other doesn't have (graphs, past history, BMI, goals, etc) so I just use both of them. I only enter my weight once a week (Friday's) so I don't even open them all that often. As I was opening up  JAWT today to see my past weigh-in's I got kind of discouraged when I saw that I've only lost 10 pounds in the past 4 months. That seems like such a waste! I know its not...but I don't know how much harder I can work or how much healthier I can eat in order to lose weight any faster. Im not going to lie, it really bummed me out for awhile. I kept thinking- what am I doing wrong? I should be at my goal weight by now- I mean c'mon...I've been on this journey for 18 months already! After moping and beating myself up about it, I opened my drawer to look for my little notebook with the measurements I took in January (mid-Jan I believe). I haven't taken them since then (just cause I haven't thought to) and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Not happy with the numbers themselves (!) but happy to see the progress I'm making.

SM=Starting Measurement (mid Jan 2012)
CM= Curent Measurement (April 19, 2012)

Shoulders: SM- 44" CM- 43" (-1)
Bust: SM- 44.5" CM- 40" (-4.5)
Waist: SM- 38" CM- 35" (-3) (natural waist, smallest part)
Stomach: SM- 43" CM- 39" (-4) (Measurement taken below belly button)
Under Bra: SM- 35" CM- 34" (-1)
Hips: SM- 45.5" CM- 43" (-2.5)
Thighs: SM- 28" CM- 28" (0)
Above Knee: SM- 17" CM- 17" (0)
Calf: SM- 18" CM- 17" (-1)
Ankle: SM- 9" CM- 9" (0)
Upper Arm: SM- 13" CM-12" (-1)
Wrist: SM- 6" CM- 6" (0)

Total Inches Lost: 18 in 4 months!

I knew I was fitting into smaller sizes but had no idea I had actually lost that many inches off my body. I'm now 90% positive is that the reason I'm losing weight so slowly now is because I'm gaining lean muscle. I'm sure I will get to my goal weight eventually- but at this rate it could take 2 more years! 

For the past 6 weeks or so I've been weighing myself everyday right when I get up, just to try and see if it helps keep me accountable. It definitely does, because late at night when I get the munchies- I stop myself and remember that when I step on the scale the next morning I'll really regret eating when I didn't need to. I know your natural body weight fluctuates from day to day so weighing every single day really isn't a realistic measurement to go by. I feel like once a week will give me a better idea of my progress. So I'll weigh in tomorrow- and then not again until next Friday. 

______________________________________

Today I have 3 miles OR cross training on the schedule. I have a pretty laid back day (home all day, besides taking Austin to/from school) and so I wanted to make the most of it and get a good workout in.  I did the elliptical for 45 minutes this morning and then did a 20 min strength training workout. I don't really follow anything specific- I probably should. I just have a list of total body exercises that I cycle though (I do strength training 3x a week). Tonight my husband is taking the kids to the high school volleygame so while they are gone- I am going to do a 3 mile run & then come home and catch up on my DVR in peace & quiet :)

Tomorrow is 5 miles and then I'm doing a 5k race on Saturday! 



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're definitely just gaining lean muscle! Congrats on losing so many inches! That's amazing!
    Good luck on your 5K race on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on losing so many inches! I have been meaning to do measurments and I keep forgetting to. I will put it on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not seeing a movement on the scale can sometimes be discouraging, but don't let it get the best of you! You are out there busting your hiney and it is obvious that it is paying off!! I love keeping track of my measurements...it definitely has given me the satisfaction I need when maybe the scale isn't budging! Good luck with your 5k! I am sure you will totally rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I weigh myself everyday, and I'm a firm believer in it. Of course, I do that with the understanding that daily weight fluctuates, so I can't get discouraged by it. If I only weighed in once a week, I wouldn't have a very accurate picture of what was going on. There have been weeks where I lost 3 pounds, but then jumped up with water weight. If I was only weighing in once a week, I would have completely missed that progress! I know that this goes completely against what all of the pros say, but I'm okay with that! : ) Great job losing those inches! There are times that I have been completely shocked (in a good way) with my measurements! It's so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete