Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Theres a first time for everything!

Well today was the big day- my first hike!!

We got up to Auberry (about an hour from our house) around 9:30 and started the hike a little before 10:00. We had a group of 7- me, Wayman, my aunt, cousin Christopher and his girlfriend Kindra and my cousin Connor and his friend Matt. I used to babysit Christopher & Connor every single day when they were babies and now they are in high school- how is that possible? Makes me feel old!
 The weather was perfect- mid 70's & clear. 
 I coated myself with SPF 70, as you can tell by my shiny skin :)
 After going down this rock path, about 1/4 of a mile in, my aunt fell and twisted her ankle. Luckily we were close to the car still and she decided to not go any further and make it worse. I felt bad that she had to sit in the car and wait for us, when the whole trip was her idea in the first place. I know she was bummed to miss out. 



 There were a few times we took the wrong trail- apparently there are PEOPLE trails and COW trails. Who knew? There were cows everywhere- literally walking right next to you.

 I'm not sure why I wore all black on such a warm day- lesson learned. 

 The bridge we crossed


 We stopped to eat our lunch right after we crossed this bridge. We all brought PB&J sandwiches and fruit. Looking back- definitely pack more next time. I had GU energy gel's and shot bloks in my backpack, but we were all starved. Climbing hills for a few hours will definitely work up an appetite. 
 I carried my little camera in my hand with me the whole time and I think I must have got a fingerprint on the lens because the pictures get really fuzzy from here on out!
 It was a semi-easy hike. The first 2 miles (when we were going the wrong direction) were difficult- very steep and lots of rocks. The uneven terrain was pretty hard to maneuver without falling. Once we realized we were on the wrong path, we turned around  and ended up taking a cow trail instead of the trail intended for people :) We found the ACTUAL trail we were intending on hiking and it was pretty smooth sailing from there. 
We didn't finish the full 10 mile loop- for a few reasons. 
#1- Chris' girlfriend started feeling sick after we stopped to eat and although she told us we could keep going if we wanted- I knew she was miserable. I didn't want to make her go any further knowing her stomach hurt and she wanted to rest. 
#2 I took a little tumble toward the beginning and scraped up my knee and hand. Not horrible, but uncomfortable. As I fell, I used my arms to catch myself and kind of tweaked my shoulder. Wayman was behind me when I fell and he said it looked like I rolled my ankle, but luckily my ankle was just fine. I sucked it up and forgot it about for awhile, but towards the end I was really feeling sore
#3- I felt bad that my aunt was waiting so long in the car for us. She came to hike- not sit in the car for 4 hours and wait for us!

So, although we didn't do all 10 miles (we did 6), we still had a GREAT time and I would definitely go back again. I think I have a new hobby to add to my list! By the time we got to the car I was hot, tired and dirty- so I guess it was a success!

We came back to Fresno (the boys were at my parents house) and I took a quick shower, got cleaned up and 30 minutes later I was at the mall shopping. This girl goes from one extreme to the other! I had the entire afternoon to myself and I shopped my little heart out. Got Easter outfits for everyone, got the kids Easter baskets done, tried on a million things that weren't in my budget but were just fun to try on and just enjoyed walking around all by myself! I rarely get to do that :)

We had dinner at my parents house and I told Wayman that besides driving, sitting down to dinner was the first time I'd sat down all day! I have a feeling my legs are gonna be pretty tired tomorrow. I've got a 4.5 mile run on schedule and I want to get it done first thing in the morning so I have the rest of the day to relax and pick up the house a little.

Time for me to go to bed- I'm wiped out! 
P.S. (mom!) I'm not spell checking or proof reading...so excuse all the mistakes!

3 comments:

  1. It looks like beautiful scenary! I hope you are feeling better today! 6 miles is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun, I love the foothills and the weather was amazing yesterday. It's so chilly today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scenic place to hike! Hope everyone is feeling okay now.

    ReplyDelete