Friday, April 6, 2012

Thoughts in my head

The last 2 days have been perfect- as far as my running goes. 

Yesterday, like promised- I got up at 6:30 and ran my 4.5 miles. I spent the rest of the day doing errands to get ready for Easter, taking Austin to a doctor appointment and going to lunch with my mom. Productive? I think so :)

Today I had another 4.5 mile on schedule and I planned to do it this morning when I woke up. However, about 2:00 am, I woke up to a random beeping sound- it happened about once every 3 minutes. Just long enough for me to drift back to sleep and then....BEEEP. To say I was irritated would be an understatement. I knew it was probably a smoke detector battery dying but I guess I was just secretly hoping it would stop and/or I'd fall back asleep. It wasn't bothering the kids or the hubby but it was driving me insane. I don't know HOW they slept through it. After tossing and turning for over 2 hours, I finally got up and attempted to put a stop to the beeping. After searching and searching, I found an OLD smoke detector that was in a drawer, but still had a battery in it. I took it out and buried it back in the drawer and I seriously was going to cry if that thing beeped one more time. I was already up at this point (4:00 am) so I decided I might as well clean the kitchen and start tackling my to-do list for the day. Then I sat down and had a bowl of cereal and read a couple chapters of my book (Bloom by Kelle Hampton, Enjoying The Small Things). Reading always makes me tired so at about 5:30 I crawled back in bed and slept a glorious beep-free two hours until the boys came into our room. Time to start the day AGAIN!

After the rough start to the morning, I was too tired and out of it to run so I just started working around the house. I have a TON to get done (we have everyone over for Easter so theres lots of spring cleaning to do). I had to run to the store to pick up a few things around lunchtime so I picked up Subway for Wayman & I on the way home. After letting my lunch settle (or so I thought!) I set out for my run- 4.5 miles. 

The weather was gorgeous- high 60's, sunny & breezy and it was just so peaceful outside. I had all the time in the world (kids were asleep, hubby doing yardwork, my to-do's were mostly done for the day) so I just set out hoping to clear my mind and get in "the zone". If you run- you know exactly how relaxing that "zone" can be. I literally crave it when I miss a run day. Anyway, I hit 4.5 miles and besides a few tummy issues (my lunch had NOT settled, shoulda waited longer) my run was awesome. It literally felt effortless, but yet I had worked up a sweat and my heart rate was elevated. It was perfect. When I got to 4.5 miles, I was still a ways from home and felt great so I ran the rest of the way home (another .80 mile, so 5.20 total). 

A few random things:
-Do you use anything for chafing? I've heard of Body Glide and I'm thinking I need to try it. I am just getting to the point where I feel comfortable running in shorts (I'm a capris/pants girl...always been self conscious about my legs). When I'm running, my running shorts (Adidas or Nike, with the built in underwear) stay perfectly in place but the second I stop running and do my cool-down walk, my shorts crawl up and some major chafing happens. I don't get it! Irritating. I ran 5.2 miles and didn't have a single issue...why the change when I walk? GRRR. Anyway- suggestions?

My parents came over tonight- bearing dinner :) I love when that happens!

We had yummy grilled chicken salads with all the fixings- tomatoes, cucumbers, hardboiled eggs, mushrooms, green onions.....it was delish. After dinner we sat around and talked and played a board game with the kids. We also dyed our Easter eggs (always a fun event, right?). 

After my parents left I got to work on prepping food for this weekend. We're doing Easter at Wayman's aunts house tomorrow and I'm supposed to bring an appetizer. I wanted to do something fun that the kids would like so I made fruit kebobs in the colors of the rainbow and then chocolate-chip filled raspberries. Healthy and fun :) I'm sure not all kids would appreciate this, but mine were thrilled. They stood at the counter while I chopped the fruit and I couldn't cut fast enough- they kept sneaking piece and after piece and said they couldn't wait til they could eat a "whole stick" tomorrow. 
Tomorrow is technically a strength training (no run) day, but since I'm going to be eating more than normal, I'm going to throw in a few miles too. I'm just going to run according to how I feel and call it good. I'm also going to do my 15 minute strength routine. I've got a lot of work to do when we get home to finish getting ready for Sunday so depending on how tired I am, I'm hoping to squeeze in a half hour on the elliptical. I'm finally on a no-gain/plateau point and am consistently losing again (slowly, but its happening) so I want to make sure I'm extra cautious this weekend and don't blow it. NOTHING tastes as good as having a victory on the scale....I'll keep reminding myself of that when I'm surrounded by all the good food over the next 2 days!

Ok well the house is quiet now and I'm off to bed. I'm starting to get hungry and I find the best way to beat the nighttime munchies is to just go to sleep! Plus, the extra sleep can't hurt!

Good Night!

4 comments:

  1. Great job on the runs! I wish it was in the 60's here, it's already pushing 80 in dallas :( I used to wear compression shorts under my running shorts when I ran to help with chafing, I also like fitted bike shorts when i run, no riding up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use body glide and love it. Great jobs on all your runs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the raspberry with the chocolates! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use body glide, but it doesn't work all that well for me. I've got the same issue with shorts, great when running BAD when walking!! Love the fruit kabobs and I'm sure they were a HUGE hit! Hope you had a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete