Monday, August 27, 2012

Marathon Monday: Week 6

I have completed week 6 of 16 of my training schedule. As the weeks go on, the training is getting much more rigorous and time consuming. I think I've decided that this will be my first and last marathon for awhile. At least a year or so. I just don't have the time it takes to dedicate to a strict training schedule, and I feel like its taking some of the fun and enjoyment I got out of running. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind- but right now- I feel like I'm just going through the motions. I don't have that awesome runners high afterwards, I just feel exhausted. I can't run to clear my mind and sort my thoughts like I used to- now I'm too busy thinking about paces and averages and mile markers and elevation and refueling. 

Sunday: Rest Day
Monday: 4 miles
Tuesday: 30 minutes elliptical + 30 Day Shred
Wednesday: 5 miles + 30 Day Shred
Thursday: 3 miles + 30 Day Shred
Friday: 11 miles + 30 Day Shred
Saturday: 4.64 miles + 30 Day Shred (this was actually supposed to be a rest day, but I've got a busy week and had some free time that day, so I got one of my 4 mile runs for the upcoming week out of the way)

Total Miles:  28 miles

Notes:
*My right knee always starts hurting about mile 5. If I stop and take a 5 minute walk break, it eases up and I can start running another mile or two without any problems. 
*I have found that walking breaks is the only way I'm going to successfully complete 26.2 miles. I feel like I'm cheating when I walk, and I know thats not the case. I just really hoped to RUN 26.2 miles. No one "walks a marathon". I'm not fast by any means. If I can keep my running between 11:00-12:00 pace, then my 14:30ish walk breaks don't bring down my overall pace too terribly bad. I just want to finish under 6 hours, thats my only goal. The clock runs for 8 hours but the streets are only closed off to traffic for 6. I just can't even fathom people who run 3-4 hour marathons. I'm jealous, I don't think I will ever, ever be that fast!
*The toe next to my big toe has been causing me some problems. I think it started out with cutting my nail too short, but now the nail is lifting off my toe and it feels bruised. Im going to the doctor at the end of the week
*I will be SO glad when the temperatures cool down and I don't have to run with the miserably hot sun beating down on me. 

4 comments:

  1. I had the same issue with my second toe...the nail lifted up some and felt bruised. The nail eventually just came off. I really believe this was from all the miles I'd been running. My second toe on my other foot started to do the same thing, but I got new shoes and that seemed to help. I think what you've got going on might be the infamous "runner's toe." :)

    (Glad you're back to blogging--I'm a lurker coming out to comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff Galloway's run walk run method is amazing! I too have a hard time incorporating walk breaks mentally but my body loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you said about your toenails - that happened to me twice, one on each foot. I ended up losing the nails. Wasn't so bad even though it freaked me out at first. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I can't believe you're doing a marathon...so awesome. I just popped in to say I changed my domain address so you may want to change the link from your Motivate Me Monday post. Hope all is well, go easy on the knee...been there. :) Jessica Washburn

    sweatismysanity.com

    ReplyDelete