Tuesday, May 21, 2013

California Classic 2013


This past Sunday I participated in my 5th half marathon, but my first as a relay participant. 

I ran the first leg (6.93 miles) and my husband ran the 2nd leg (6.17) to make up the full 13.1 half marathon distance.I chose the first leg for a couple of reasons- a) it's earlier and therefore cooler (high of 90 that day) b) even though its longer than the 2nd leg, it's flatter & more scenic and c) I knew crossing the actual finish line would be fun for my husband since its finishes in baseball stadium and you get to run across the field. So basically, it was a no-brainer for me to pick the 1st leg.

The race started at 7:15 and although I had trained and prepared for the run, I still spent the 15 minutes before the race a nervous wreck (I always do)

Breakfast was a banana eaten in the car. Not a lot, but I can't eat much before running without feeling sick 
Standing around at the start line. He waited with me until right before the gun went off and then I took off running and e jumped on the shuttle that took him to the relay exchange point
It was a pretty easy 7 miles, I stopped 3 times to walk, but only for about 30 seconds each time. Mostly to adjust my shorts that were crawling up (annoying!) or to stop at a water station and drink without choking. I finished strong and handed the baton (or bracelet in this case) off to Wayman and he was off to finish the last half. I averaged 12:28 miles which is right on target for a good run for me. I had wanted to try for 11 min miles but after the first couple faster miles (11:XX) I knew I didn't have it in me. It was warm and my legs felt like bricks! So I just decided to run my normal pace and I felt good about that decision. 

Here are my "after" pictures, taken on the shuttle going back to the finish line
Here's the finish line, it's a really fun race!

And then the post-race breakfast that I was definitely ready for!!!



I love running this race and I really love doing the relay with my husband! Its not as challenging as the full half marathon distance but given my knee issues, its perfect! 













1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you back to blogging, and looking and feeling great!

    ReplyDelete