Monday, July 22, 2013

Food for Thought

One of my favorite things to do as I fall asleep at night or when I have some extra time during the day is  to browse the Health & Fitness boards on Pinterest. If you don't already follow me on Pinterest, you can click on the little yellow icon with the P in the right column and it will take you there. 

Sometimes I find a lot of common sense garbage but other times I find things that I really like. Most of the time its inspirational quotes or at-home workouts that I enjoy re-pinning. Today I'm gonna share 3 quotes that I like to use when I need a little pick-me-up.

The first one:
If you've ever experienced the high after a good workout, felt those endorphins running through your body- you can relate to this. There are some days when I have a million things on my mind and I can't shake the worry, stress, anger, hurt, etc of whatever the situation maybe be. It never fails though, I put my running shoes on & hit the trail and almost instantly, my mind is more focused. The same thing happens when I lift weights or when Shaun T is kicking my butt during Insanity. Anything that makes me sweat, gets my heart rate up & challenges my body- will usually clear my mind. Sometimes I listen to music, other times I just listen to the noises surrounding me. When I'm done with my workout- I feel like a new person. Whatever was worrying me or upsetting me before, the chaotic to-do lists bouncing around my head- they all seem so insignificant afterwards and I feel much more capable of conquering whatever may lay ahead. The power of a good workout is unreal!

The second one:
I have this verse above on my blog because its really important to me. The "race" that the bible talks about obviously isn't specifically referring to a running race. In my mind, the race that is set before us is referring to life in general. I believe that verse is telling us to give it (life, your run, your marriage, your kids, etc) everything you have. Push on with endurance and perseverance and continue on the road that He has laid out for us, looking ahead and listening to Jesus the whole time. When I'm having a particularly difficult run, I repeat this verse to myself over and over. It means so much more to me than just the words on the page. It helps me to push through, not give up and finish strong.


And the third one:
Schedules are busy, money is tight, friends and family are dealing with hardships that affect you, your kids need an attitude adjustment, you made a dumb mistake at work, you're fighting with your spouse, you have an upcoming meeting you are anxious about..WHATEVER it may be- when you're running, that is YOU time. Most times I can completely block out whatever else is on my mind and just relax while I put one foot in front of the other. There are so many things in the world that are out of your control, but when you are running- that is YOURS. Own it. You deserve it! I said it before, but when I'm done running, whatever was bothering me before is minimized and seems far less world-shattering than when I started. When I have a ton of things to do around the house and feel like theres no time to tackle the to-do list- sometimes going for a 30 minute run is all I need to re-prioritize and get my brain clear and ready to get stuff done.

So, now that I've shared a few of my favorite inspirational quotes- what are some of YOUR favorites? What gets you through your run or your workout? What helps you focus and stay motivated?

No comments:

Post a Comment