Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Gluten Free, Days 1-3

Well I've finished 4 out of 30 days of living gluten free and dare I say....its easy? I mean...I expected to have crazy cravings for bread and pasta and sugar and processed junk but its actually the opposite. My appetite has decreased, I'm satisfied with less and I've easily turned down things (In N Out fries, Red Robin cheeseburgers, pancakes, pizza, german chocolate cake, grandmas chocolate chip cookies...need I say more? Temptation City)

If you didn't see my post on Instagram, I decided to cut gluten out of my diet in hopes that it will make me feel better. I struggle with major bloating, fatigue, dizzy spells, crankiness, headaches and constipation and I've finally tied down the culprit- wheat and processed food. Even whole wheat bread or pasta makes me feel like that. I'm lactose intolerant and so I'm used to having tummy troubles, but this is all more. I haven't always had those symptoms but I would say for the past 2 years I have. 

I did a ton of research and am doing this gluten free 30 days to see if I am in fact, gluten intolerant. I'm on day 4 and I'm not exaggerating when I say I feel a world better. I have more energy, I'm sleeping better and I don't have that "blah" feeling after every meal. I am finding its easiest for me if I plan ahead and figure out what I'm going to eat the following day the night before. I enter everything into MyFitnessPal and it makes it effortless. No scrounging for something thats compatible with what I can eat when I'm ravenous. Its been working well for me. 

For my own records, this is what I've eaten the past 4 days:

Saturday (DAY 1)
Breakfast: 2 egg omelette, mushrooms, spinach an shredded cheese with salsa on top
Midmorning snack: Raw almonds and 1 square of dark chocolate (not all chocolate is GF, this is)
Lunch: cucumber sandwiches w/laughing cow and turkey. Also a protein shake with chocolate protein, 1/2 a banana, PB2 and almond milk
For dinner Wayman and I went to Red Robin (kids spent the night with grandparents). I was VERY tempted to order a burger and fries, per usual. Especially cause I had the race the next morning and "carb loading" is just a normal thing to do ;) But I knew how I'd feel after and I am really determined to do this for myself so instead I ordered the Chicken Ensenada. Its 2 chicken breasts with salsa and ranch and a small salad on the side (it comes with tortilla chips but I asked to not have those included). As best as I could tell from the menu, this was GF. If anything there could have been some no-no ingredients in the ranch dressing but otherwise it was good. Not to mention the entire platter is 430 calories and DELICIOUS. I would definitely order it again.
After dinner: frozen yogurt (Pralines and Pecans fro-yo topped with pecans)

Sunday (DAY 2, half marathon)
Breakfast #1- 2 scrambled eggs, Canadian bacon and GF bread (Udis brand) with butter

Breakfast #2 (post race)- scrambled eggs and bacon

Lunch- In N Out burger, protein style and Jamba Juice "light" (did you know they can use greek yogurt now??)..I always crave JJ after races

Dinner: tri tip, rice, asparagus w/ EVOO, salt and pepper and salad with tomatoes, avacado & olives

Monday (DAY 3)

Breakfast: 2 egg omlette with mushrooms, spinach and shredded cheese, GF toast with butter

Snack: Raw cashews

Lunch: Chobani greek yogurt, plantain chips (from Trader Joes- they are HEAVENLY)

Dinner: Quinoa burgers (cooked quinoa mixed with eggs, shredded cheese, cottage cheese, shredded zucchini and carrots, GF flour, a tiny bit of sugar (real), cumin and garlic powder, formed into patties and pan fried in EVOO. Green beans sauteed in EVOO on the side

Tuesday (DAY 4)
Breakfast: 2 egg omelette with mushrooms, spinach and shredded cheese, GF toast with butter
Snack: cashews
Lunch: can of tuna with 1 Tbsp mayo, 1 hardboiled egg, chopped onion and pickles over lettuce. 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.
Snack: Pineapple greek yogurt
Dinner: 2 homemade turkey burger (bunless, no cheese) with sauteed mushrooms and onions on top. Green beans sauteed in EVOO on the side.

I have several GF meal ideas pinned and I can't wait to try them all! And because I know someone will ask me, I eat 1500 calories a day (usually pretty close to exactly that, sometime a little under). I track everything on MyFitnessPal so if you want to see what I eat, you can view my diary as long as you are my friend. My username is runthisweigh, feel free to add me as a friend! 





2 comments:

  1. I am lactose intolerant (mild) but any yogurt and especially greek yogurt affects my stomach. Does it effect you or do you just deal with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yogurt (and kind) doesnt bother me. my doctor said the lactose in yogurt is completely different than what you find in milk, cheese, ice cream etc. because its already broken down. which is what the body has trouble doing, yogurt is supposed to have the opposite affect on you. pizza is by the far the worse for me, the cheese combined with the grease is NO bueno!

      Delete