Monday, February 17, 2014

Gluten Free update

Happy Monday friends! I am thoroughly enjoying my Presidents Day! Hope you're doing the same :) Having two 3 day weekends in a row has really spoiled us.

I'm 9 days into my 30 day goal of cutting out gluten. I haven't felt this good in a really long time. I am not having cravings for bread and sugar and processed junk whatsoever, which I really expected. I didn't eat a ton of that to begin with but I still thought my body would go through withdrawals without it.

We went out for sushi on Valentines Day and while I didn't eat a whole lot (quantity wise), I'm certain that the rolls contained gluten. One of them had imitation crabmeat inside, which is a no-no. And another was topped with tempura shrimp and I'm sure the batter that they fried it in was not GF. I tried my best to order as best I could, but I'm still learning. Ironically, after we ate, a couple sat down next to us and she explained to the sushi chef that she couldn't eat gluten and he made her a few rolls that I will definitely be ordering next time. One of them had salmon (or shrimp), asparagus and cream cheese. It looked really good! Besides that meal, I have been extra, extra careful to read food labels and nutritional info online when it comes to restaurants. We found a restaurant last night, right outside the movie theater that has a gluten free menu (The Broilers) so we will definitely keep that on the list of go-to places. Wayman and I both had the beef shawarma salad and it was amazing. I would definitely order it again.

As for what I eat on a day to day basis (I get asked this A LOT), its really not that difficult, especially when you plan ahead.

My favorite breakfast for the past week has been a slice of Udis GF bread (Trader Joes, Target), 1/4 of an avocado spread on the bread, topped with a fried egg. Its so savory and filling. I won't get tired of that any time soon!

For lunches and dinners, I prep everything ahead of time (on the weekend) so that I have things I can just grab out of the fridge and re-heat or throw in my lunch bag to take to work with me. Last weeks lunch (for the whole week) was beans and ground pork (cooks just like ground beef or ground turkey, but has less fat) with avocado on the side. For this upcoming week, I made a crustless quiche/fritatta packed with veggies. It turned out so good! I didn't use an exact recipe, I just used what I had:

8 eggs, beaten
1 cup fat free milk
1 container fresh mushrooms, sliced and sauteed
1 onion, chopped and sauteed
1 pkg frozen spinach, thawed, drained and moisture squeezed out
1/2 cup diced ham, pre-cooked
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella

Spray a glass pie dish with non-stick spray.
Spread the spinach across bottom of dish.
Arrange mushrooms, onions, ham and feta (or whatever veggies and/or meat you use) on top of that
In a bowl, add the eggs, milk, salt and pepper and parmesan cheese together, mix
Pour into pie dish
Sprinkle the mozzarella on top
Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, until middle is firm and top is golden brown

Serves 6

Nutritional Info, per serving (when sliced into 6 pieces)
217 calories
12 g fat
9 g carbs
18 g protein

For dinners I keep it pretty simple, a protein and veggies. Often with brown rice or quinoa, but not every night. Burrito bowls are also a favorite (shredded lettuce, meat of your choice, beans, corn, salsa, avocado, topped with a dollop of plain greek yogurt). We do left overs A LOT as well.

This weeks dinner menu looks like this:
Monday- burrito bowls
Tuesday- tilapia, sauteed green beans and brown rice
Wednesday- same thing as Tuesday (kids will eat at church)
Thursday- pork chops, broccoli and brussel sprouts
Friday- same as Thursday.

Its really pretty easy to do, and I'm loving how much better I feel. I haven't had a single headache, I'm more alert and energetic, my digestive system is functioning for a change and my skin is clearer than its been in awhile.

Anyone have a favorite gluten free recipe they would share? Or your go-to GF snacks and meals?




No comments:

Post a Comment