Saturday, March 22, 2014

Surgery Day

I know its been awhile since I had time to update the blog, so now that I have more than enough time on my hands, I figured out I would go back and update y'all on my surgery. I'm going to try and update daily for these first couple weeks of my recovery. 

So, in case you are new around here I'll give you a quick little back story. 

I have lost 65 pounds through running and counting calories with MyFitnessPal. This past January I was training for my 7th half marathon and start suffering from intense foot pain after running. It was like a burning sensation that would come and go, but my foot was always tender. Things like standing on my tippy toes, planks on my toes, calf raises and any kind of jumping was nearly impossible. 

I went to a sports medicine doctor at the end of January, who almost immediately diagnosed me with sesamoiditis. I had several x-rays and then an MRI and was referred to an orthopaedic surgeon because my sesamoid bones in my foot were actually broken. I continued running through my half marathon on February 9, but stopped after that because it was just too painful (well, besides a few runs right before my surgery just to "get it out of my system"). My surgery was set for Thursday, March 20 at 2 in the afternoon.

DAY OF SURGERY:

I had a pretty routine morning (besides no eating or drinking anything). I didn't have to check into the hospital until noon, so my husband went to work and the kids went to school. It was picture day so I didn't want them to miss! I picked them up around 10:45 and my husband worked half day and came home around the same time. We left for Fresno (where I had my surgery) at 11:00 and dropped the kids off with my dad. We (myself and my husband) went to get checked in, and my mom and grandma came to wait in the waiting room. 

This is a picture of my foot as I was waiting to be checked in. You can see the circular bruise on the inside of my foot, under my big toe. It pretty much kept getting worse and worse over the last couple months. It would also swell up randomly as well.

I was almost immediately taken back to get prepped for surgery. They had me change into a gown, scrubbed my leg with that nasty orange stuff to disinfect it and took all my stats. And of course, I had to take a selfie to document the whole shebang
My super sweet nurse, Tori, had a hard time finding my vein but finally got permission to place it higher up on my arm (I guess they prefer to do it towards the wrist, hand). She got it started and I'm proud to tell you I didn't faint, cry or punch Tori. Progress!
The anesthesiologist was running a bit behind so I got to lay on the gurney and chat with my hubby for a little longer than expected. I'm glad they let him wait with me otherwise I would have been a nervous wreck. I was finally wheeled into the operating room at about 2:25. The room was big and white with tons of lamps, fancy machines and doctors with knives and tools of every size. It was sort of overwhelming. I didn't realize so many people were required for this process! Better safe than sorry? (I won't be saying that once I get the bills from each "required" person in that room!)

I remember them having me move from the gurney to the operating table. One of the nurses asked if I had ever had surgery before and my response was something along the lines of "Yeah...but usually when I'm laying on a table like this with someone cutting me open, I get handed a newborn baby right after" (referencing my c-sections, obviously). I don't remember a single thing after that. 

The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery. I had absolutely NO pain, felt very relaxed and comfortable and didn't have that yucky medicine head feeling that often happens after anesthesia. I was very relieved about that. It took me about 30 minutes or so before I was fully awake, I kept drifting back to sleep. Once I was all the way awake, they brought my husband back and had him help me get dressed. They gave me a walking sandal to wear over my bandages. My leg and foot were extremely swollen. I got to check out of the hospital around 5:00. Still no pain. 
In recovery, before leaving
We left the hospital and went to pick the kids up. I was absolutely starving so we went to In N Out and I got a double double, protein style and french fries. While sitting in the drive through, I started getting super sharp pains on the outside of my foot (opposite where the incision was). If it weren't for trying to hold it together for the sake of the kids in the backseat, I probably would have bawled like a baby because it hurt so bad. As soon as I ate, I took my first pain pill and by the time we drove the 30 minutes home, I was feeling somewhat better. 
I laid down on the couch and put my foot up, per the doctors instructions. I didn't leave the couch (besides potty breaks) until it was bedtime. I was able to remove the ace wrap from my foot at 9pm and it relieved a lot of the pressure

I have great care-takers ;)


I went to bed after taking my last pain pill around 11:00, propped my foot up on pillows and slept like a rock until 7:00 the next morning. I was not expecting to sleep well at all so that was pleasantly surprising! 

Overall, I was in a lot less pain that I anticipated. My entire foot was numb so it was really just tenderness and heaviness from the swelling that I was feeling. 

I'll post day of 1 post-op next ;) 



1 comment:

  1. I added a small piece of lace fabric in the center to cover my bustier which meant I did not need to pay to have the dress altered at all. I was very pleased with my new dress!

    ReplyDelete